Social media has taken over the world. With people spending several hours of their day on Facebook, Twitter, Instagram, etc, many think it has become an addiction and a social media fast is a necessity.
What is a social media fast?
Like fasting from food, a social media fast is essentially limiting the hours you spend on these platforms on a daily basis. Ideally, the less time you spend poring over your social media feeds, the happier and less stressed you will be.
What are the benefits of doing a social media fast?
- More time for other things. This is probably the most obvious benefit. Of course, the less time you spend on one thing frees up some to use for other things. You can finally take up that dance class you’ve been meaning to get but hardly have any time for (yeah right), or you can squeeze in more zzzz’s and get more rest.
- Less FOMO. Have you ever seen a Facebook post and felt you have got to be there, or get that, or be that? It’s fear of missing out. According to Wikipedia, FOMO, is “a pervasive apprehension that others might be having rewarding experiences from which one is absent”. This social anxiety is characterized by “a desire to stay continually connected with what others are doing”. This is quite unhealthy and stressful which leads us to our third benefit.
- Healthier mind. The constant need to be updated on what’s happening in other people’s lives causes a stress that has been the reason behind many suicide attempts of late. Seeing the curated posts of our friends tends to make us feel bad about our own lives – that somehow they have it better than us and therefore we suck.
- Discover things about yourself. Technology has been so great that it has made our lives so much easier we forget we are capable of so many things. When was the last time you sang? Played the guitar? Or played a chess game with an actual person as an opponent? When was the last time you picked up a book to read, or a pen to write a poem?
- Healthier body. With all these active hours, it is but normal that your heart has gone up, compared to when you spent all this time twiddling away on your phone, browsing through your friends’ posts?
- More real connections. My most favorite of all is this. Have you ever gone to your neighbor’s house and paid your childhood best friend a visit? Nobody seems to do this anymore. Nowadays, checking in means sending a message via Facebook messenger or some messaging app. Go out there, meet with friends, have a phone-less dinner and chat about life.
As a social media manager, can I do a social media fast?
If you’re reading this blog, you are most likely someone who needs help with social media, or you’re a social media manager. You are probably wondering how social media managers get to have a social media fast without compromising their marketing strategy. Good thing nowadays, there are social media automation tools you can use to schedule posts. You can plot your posts ahead of time and they can post on your behalf without you having to go online to do it yourself.
If you’re on the lookout for such tools, you can try Much.Social. Your first 30 days are free.